Friday, July 24, 2015

Weekly Update

   I've been a little bad about writing for the past few days because I've been so busy, but Phoenix and I have learned and fixed a lot and I don't want it to go un noted.  On Tuesday I worked more with Phoenix with swinging the lead rope around.  I started by riding her around and slapping the lead rope around and then I swung it above my head while walking and then trotting.  I didn't lope yet because I need to focus on fixing her lead first, but Phoenix was relaxed and happy with the rope bouncing around and hitting her or being thrown out in front of her and I feel that we could become good at break away with practice.  Phoenix did well and was relaxed so I put the lead rope down and just worked on taking her through her gaits for a little bit.





   I hosed Phoenix down after our work out and had fun hanging out and playing with Robin's kids.  They are funny and just a joy to hang with.  




   Wednesday started out a little crazy after I warmed Phoenix up in the arena but ended on a good note.  Our trouble was our left lead and no matter what I did or how I asked Phoenix would either pick up the wrong lead or just trot fast and refuse to canter.  Robin came into the arena to help me get Phoenix listening and  told me to hold the outside rein and pick up my inside rein while kicking her with my outside leg but Phoenix still threw a fit, so Robin let me borrow some spurs and work with Phoenix some more.
   It took awhile for Phoenix to figure it out and a little bit of bucking (Robin had me correct it by pulling her head into the other direction and spurring her around a few times and then continuing) but eventually she stopped fighting and just picked up her left lead.  We did it several times to make sure she had it good and then I gave her a short walking break before we worked on barrels.  
   I've always been pretty much a non spur person because I looked at them as cheating when you can't get your horse to do something or weapons against them but I now realize that, when used properly, spurs are a great tool.  Phoenix had way better turns with spurs because it helped with extra pressure to push her around the barrels and she didn't break down like she usually does either.  I was doing ok practicing the pattern but Robin came and helped me fix a lot by reminding me the 5 points of a turn and when to apply inside leg and when to apply outside leg.  She also had me ride her two handed like I normally do inbetween barrels but switch to pulling her out around the barrel while using outside leg pressure to get better turns.  I worked at it in all gaits and even though I still need to work on doing everything correctly, all of the tips definitely made a difference.  
   Phoenix is listening well, bending and turning good, and wanting to run faster.  She has improved so much in the past several weeks and honestly I just need to fix myself and not be nervous to push Phoenix faster and I think we could do well barrel racing.  My main problem was over turning Phoenix out of her second barrel or over thinking everything I had to do during the pattern.  Robin said to practice all of the mechanics around the barrels when going slower but to let is flow and not think about it when doing a run.  Hopefully I am able to do that because I love racing and I am still holding Phoenix back.   
   Friday was a fun day with my baby girl and after warming up in the arena and working on our left lead without spurs (which she picked up much better today) Robin let us start learning how to work the cows and it was a blast!  Robin split the sorting pens into 2 round pens because she said its less stress for when you start teaching horses how to work cows because the cows can't get away from them.  I watched for a little bit and then Phoenix and I had a go at it while Robin gave us instructions.  It was fun picking a cow a mirroring it and Phoenix started to get into it more.  Our main problem is turning quick enough in the opposite direction and I've always struggled with that.  Robin gave me some tips for that and omg it helped a lot.  Phoenix started to really improve when I held the outside rein, applied outside leg pressure, and opened up the inside rein.  I am going to continue working on that and it will help us with barrel turns too.  
   We messed with the cows a few times and then Robin let them back out.  We didn't go crazy loping and sorting but we learned the basics and it was fun and seems like something Phoenix could be good at.  I hosed my girl off and cleaned out stalls until my dad came to pick me up.  



Look at how much she has eaten of her salt block already!





   Saturday was another fun day of work with my girl.  I went out to the ranch in shorts because I forgot to bring pants to my dad's house so I just decided to go bareback today.  Phoenix was doing pretty well at the walk and trot and I was able to sit her trot so I was feeling pretty good riding her without a saddle.  After a few attempts Phoenix picked up her left lead correctly and I was happy that I hadn't needed spurs to get Phoenix to pick it up.  Here is a video of Phoenix and I working on getting her to turn on her hindquarters.  

  

   I went to go work on our left lead some more and this is when we had a problem.  I kept asking Phoenix to lope and she started out just picking up the incorrect lead (I would just pull her back to a trot and try again) and then she ended up refusing to go faster than a trot no matter how hard I kicked her.  I ended up putting Phoenix's saddle and spurs on.  


   It took awhile and a few bucks before Phoenix would pick up her left lead when I asked her but she got it eventually and then we worked on barrels for a little bit.    



   Since I was riding with shorts on, my boots started to rub my legs raw so I ended up riding with this dope get up on haha.  


   I cooled Phoenix off, hosed her down, and put her back into her stall.  Here is a video of fluffy butt rolling over.  



No comments:

Post a Comment