I took Phoenix out and was going to let her out into the pasture, but Oakie was out there so I decided to round pen her, but the barrel mare was eating breakfast in there. I ended up tying Phoenix up to the wash rack and moving the barrel mare and her food back into her stall so I could have it open for Phoenix.
It was funny because Phoenix was being super calm (way more than usual) and listening to everything and not pulling ahead and standing still, so I started to become worried that maybe she was sick or lame or something, but Robin explained that they had switched hay (so it wasn't pure alfalfa as you can see above) so it doesn't make the horses as hot. It's crazy how much of a difference saddles and hay makes haha.
I let Phoenix loose in the round pen and free lunged her until she was listening and chewing with her mouth. She tried to come in a few times, but I just pushed her back out until I asked her to come in. She got some bucks out and I had her do all of the gaits until she listened to my cues and switched directions without a fuss and turning towards me instead of putting her butt to me. Here are some pics.
I finally let Phoenix come in and she walked right over to me and I loved on her and walked around to make sure she was listening. She followed me around, stopped when I did, and I got her to turn on her hindquarters.
I didn't really plan to ride Phoenix just yet, but she was in such a good mood and I was having so much fun, so I tied the loose end of her lead rope to her halter and hopped on. My hat fell off within a few minutes (I usually wear a helmet) and I got Phoenix walking, trotting, and eventually loping and stopping easily. I had to use a little extra leg pressure due to only having control by her rope halter, which pulls on the bottom not the side. But Phoenix listened very well and took care of me and I only lost my balance and almost fell off once haha. I even loped around without any hands on the reins. It was the best feeling ever.
When I was done riding Phoenix around I slowly worked up the courage to stand up all the way on Phoenix's back (I've done it once before months ago with a saddle). I was a little nervous at first, but I did it and it felt awesome!
And then I might've messed around with Phoenix on the ground a little.
I took Phoenix over to the tack room to groom her and tack her up so we could do some work in the arena. While I was picking out her hooves I noticed that her shoes were starting to slide around and not line up anymore, good thing she is getting her feet done on Tuesday.
I worked with Phoenix on all gaits in both directions (she got her left lead the 2nd try!) and then I worked with her on walking and trotting the barrel pattern so we could get tighter turns.
Here is a video of Phoenix and I walking the barrels neck rein style (I usually use both hands).
And here is a video of the loping barrel work Phoenix and I did today! We still have a lot to work in but I feel like we are definitely improving and I am so ready to start working on time onlys and taking Phoenix to races. Too bad I don't have a ride to the race next saturday.
After I cooled Phoenix out, I untacked her and hosed her off and then left her to work on standing tied up well/to dry off while I mucked out stalls. And Phoenix just could not stop yawning haha.
| She really sweat today |
| Bath time |
Not only do I not really mind doing stalls at all, but I might be having a little too much fun while I'm cleaning.
I also took some pics of/with some of the horses while I was cleaning. I'm not allowed to clean out Pistol's stall since he's a stallion, but I got some funny pics of him doing the flehmen's response (with his lip up).
Here are the pics of the barrel mare (I honestly still don't know her name).
And of course I took tons of pics when I was in Mini's stall. I love this horse and wish I had the money to buy her. She is super sweet and I would buy her in a heartbeat.
I put Phoenix back into her stall and took some pics of Oakie out in the pasture. He actually started running around a whole bunch so I got some great pics.
I won't be able to ride Phoenix on saturday because I'm going to the Prescott Rodeo but I am actually super excited because I haven't been to a rodeo in way to long and I love the energy!



























































No comments:
Post a Comment