Today was a day spent mostly on ground work in the round pen. I free lunged Phoenix until she was listening and messed around with the rope by rubbing her with it and swinging it around and lunging her with a halter while the rope was around her stomach and flank. She did well and I started swinging it around and stuff when Robin came to help out. Robin reminded me that I needed to be in charge and not let Phoenix get away with crap. She worked with Phoenix and the rope for a little bit until she took it calmly and she got it wrapped around her butt and on her so she could run around the pen and buck until she realized that the rope wasn't going to hurt her. Robin then waked the lead rope around and on Phoenix until she got used to that and then she recommended that I work on doing that with Phoenix until I could swing it while on her calmly before I used the rope.

I took Phoenix back and tied her up to groom her and tack her up. I took Phoenix into the arena and worked with her on gaits and collection and then turns. She is definitely improving but we are still having some issues. I worked with her on picking up her left lead for a long time but she eventually got it and I cooled her down and tied her back up.
Robin had some people over trying out a cutting horse so I got some pics of Robin, Darren, and the buyers messing around with sorting in the pens.
I hosed Phoenix off and put her away when they were done. It looked like tons of fun chasing the cows and I totally wanted to have a go. Robin said maybe later in the week.
No comments:
Post a Comment