Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Bareback Day

  Monday I arrived at the ranch around 6:30 and I took Phoenix out of her stall and groomed her.  After spending a little extra time brushing out her mane and tail, I put on my helmet and grabbed my headstall.  I slipped on Phoenix's headstall and took her to the arena where I hopped on bareback.



   I started off by warming up Phoenix at all of the gaits and just messing around with the barrels by doing the big M pattern.  Phoenix was listening pretty well and I got her to pick up her left lead after a few tries.  








   Robin came into the arena and started working one of her horses and I asked her about tips for our barrel racing (she saw our video from the weekend on FB).  She agreed that our turns have improved, but without control of Phoenix's head we would not be able to go faster and control our runs.  She showed me how to work on having Phoenix on the bit and bending how I want when I ask.  I worked on asking correctly and getting Phoenix bending towards the inside at a walk first.  It took awhile for us to get it right but we eventually got the idea and Phoenix started bending and I started being able to hold her in position.  
   We worked at it in the trot for a little bit and finally the canter.  I could definitely feel the difference when I got Phoenix bending correctly in the canter.  She was moving more with her hind in and a lot easier to check and control.  My legs were getting super sore from keeping my inside leg on her to keep her on the outside of the arena, but I needed the bareback work out to help my seat.  I'm definitely going to be working on this all week because I want to do good at our races and the first step is turns and control and then speed.  We started improving our turns but we can't work on adding more speed until I have her head.  



   I had a great work out with Phoenix and definitely learned a lot about what we need to work on if I want to give those barrel racers a run for there money.  Phoenix has a long ways to go (and so does my riding) but she has improved a lot and is doing pretty well listening.  It has helped a lot to have Robin offering advice and tips and riding Oakie when I get a chance helps me to focus on my riding more instead of how Phoenix is behaving.  We're not pulling good enough times yet but our time will come.  
   I walked out Phoenix and hosed her down even though I was sweating more than she was.  I left her tied up to dry while I mucked stalls and then I cleaned up the Western saddle I want to sell and Robin took pics and measurement for me.  We also put it on Phoenix without a pad to see how it fits her and contrary to what I thought, it is too wide for her and definitely isn't the right size for her.  So its a good thing I want a new saddle because we both need a new one.  



   I put Phoenix away and headed out because my mom was here to pic me up.  I won't be able to go out to the ranch for a few days because my mom has work and my dad is out of town, but hopefully it won't be too long.  

No comments:

Post a Comment