After working on flatwork for a little bit, I worked the barrel pattern at a walk and trot, but had some trouble when it came to the lope. I was turning the barrels too wide and when I tried to turn tighter Phoenix would slow to a trot. I wasn't leaning as bad as in my other saddle, but Robin gave me some tips to help our turns such as starting out closer to the barrel and keeping her from turning early by putting my inside leg and rein on her.
We worked on it for a little bit by figure eighting the first two barrels and listening to Robin's tips. She reminded me not to look down at a barrel while turning, like when you don't look at the jump while jumping. We have a lot to work on the next time I ride but the tips were a big help.
I hosed down my girl and pulled Oakie out of his stall. His hind ankle was a little swollen, but Robin took a look and said it was ok to ride him. I used one of Robin's super comfy cutting saddles (it was a little big) and rode Oakie in the arena. He was listening a lot better today and I was able to actually sit his trot in this saddle. Every once in awhile I had to pull myself forward in the saddle to sit correctly due to it being a little big, but I think cutting saddles are my new favorite type of saddle.
When I was working Oakie in the lope, I was experiencing the same problem that I have with Phoenix (the right lead is easy, but we can't pick up the left). Robin explained that since he is a fully broke horse, most of the time if he gets something like that wrong, it's operator error. This helps me a lot because I can figure out when it is Phoenix being stubborn or green or when it's actually the way I'm asking. I asked Oakie the way Robin told me (raise the reins a little and put pressure on the outside leg) and he picked up his left lead fine the rest of the time.
I worked with him for a little while longer and then cooled him off, untacked him, and hosed him down. Oakie loosened up during our ride and his swollen ankle doesn't seem to be causing him any pain. When I was done spraying down his body, I hosed off Oakie's face and it is so funny how much he loves the water haha.
I put Oakie out into the pasture, checked on my girl, and headed out because my dad had arrived to pick me up. I'm loving having two horses to work with and can't wait to learn and grow so much more as a rider as I work with Oakie and Phoenix more.
No comments:
Post a Comment