Sunday, July 12, 2015

Friday (Farrier Day)

   Today was the first day that I had to take care of the ranch and I recieved a little surprise.  My BFF from Yuma drove 3 hours to come hang for the weekend, so it was super awesome to have my horse friend here.  I haven't been out to the ranch in 2 days because my mom had work all day wed and I got in trouble and wasn't allowed to go on thur.  We went to the ranch around 5 and fed all of the horses 1 1/2 flakes (Pistol gets just 1), checked waters, turned Phoenix out for a little bit while we awaited the farrier.  Since Phoenix was being crazy last time, she needed her feet done still and I really want to go to a race in Vail tomorrow, so my mom had her friend's husband, Robert, come out and see if he could get shoes on Phoenix.



Phoenix's weird butt markings

   I pulled Phoenix out of the pasture when Robert arrived and he got to work removing her old shoes (and the one from tuesday).  Phoenix started out a little nervous and jumped away a few times at first, but she settled quickly and Robert handled her great.  He was able to remove all of her shoes, clip and rasp her hooves, and measure and nail on her new shoes.  Phoenix is a 00 and normally she get's a rim shoe to help with traction during racing, but Robert didn't have a rim in her size, so he put on normal shoes (we aren't fast enough for it to make a difference yet) and told us he'd have rims for us in about 8 weeks when she is due next.  




   I don't know if Phoenix was just more comfortable being held out in the open over being cross tied in the barn or she just liked the farrier better, but she did a lot better today and I'm so glad she got her feet done so she is balanced.  Robert is great and funny and it's fun having Melissa here.  Tomorrow is my first full day taking care of the ranch and possibly our first gymkhana since we moved.  

No comments:

Post a Comment