Phoenix got fed just as I arrived today so I brushed her down, picked out her hooves (with her awesome, shiny, new shoes) and slipped on her halter. Then I hopped on her and sat on my girl while she ate away at her alfalfa. Her bumps seemed to be better, but I waited till Jenny came out to the ranch to give us the ok before I rode her (though I didn't end up putting on her saddle anyway).
.
Jenny checked Phoenix over and agreed that she was good enough to put a saddle on now, which means I get to race tomorrow! So I let Phoenix out into the arena so she could run around and then I put on her gymkhana headstall and hopped onto her bareback.
I started out walking the barrel pattern , but Jenny noticed some things that I was doing wrong so she came out to give us some help. Jenny hopped up on Phoenix to show me and explain what she was talking about and then she helped me break down the pattern so I understood it better.
It helped so much and Phoenix started picking it up right away. We walked towards the barrel and I stopped her right when her hip was even with the barrel (while loping, we would ask her to rate a little before this and start asking her to turn a stride after this point). Next, Jenny had me get Phoenix to move her hip out so she was curved around the barrel instead of the opposite way. Then I turned Phoenix, using a lot of outside leg to urge her to "peel paint" on the way out of the turn and picking up her inside shoulder instead of pulling it.
We worked on our turns several times and I worked on looking up to the next barrel and then trotted and loped Phoenix a little bit. By then my dad had gotten to the ranch, so Jenny helped Phoenix and I worked on rollbacks alongside the fence and I believe I am going to start working with her on those more often because they really help me with lifting her up and using a lot of leg, as well as helping her work on her bend. Here are some pics that I had my dad took of me and my girl before I put her back into her stall to finish her dinner.
No comments:
Post a Comment