After Phoenix chilled out in the arena for a little bit, I brushed her down, picked out her hooves, and tacked her up in the arena. We went Western today with Phoenix's English snaffle bridle (2013 4h trophy breastcollar and half torn off horn bag). I hopped on my girl and we headed out down the road. My girl is still being barn sour the first half mile or so (which means a lot of stopping and kicking and some butt smacking until we are far enough away from the ranch that she wants to go).
Phoenix started off a little off and weaved some, but after a little while I got her to trot consistently and slow down when I needed her to. It was a little harder controlling Phoenix with her snaffle out on the trail when she wanted to go, but I know that it was the right bit to be riding her in because her shanked snaffle was too much bit for her and she would start becoming numb to it if I kept pulling on her mouth instead of working with her to improved off of minimal pressure in her snaffle.
I trotted Phoenix past the scary hanging waterer in the field that flipped her out last time and she only hesitated for a second. I let her out to a lope and she stopped for me so we could cross the road safely to get to the dunes. We loped around for a little while and Phoenix worked hard navigating up and down the dunes. I let my girl trot for a little bit because we went farther through the dunes than we have before and she was getting a little tired running around.
But when we turned around to head back towards home, Phoenix wanted to gallop back to the road crossing. I let her run a little fast, but constantly checked her. It was a pain in the butt to keep picking up the reins and massaging her mouth to slow her down. I had to see-saw the reins a few times to get Phoenix's attention and I ended up keeping her at a trot after we crossed the road. She kept pulling forward and I really wanted to just let Phoenix run, but I sucked it up and kept checking her and keeping her trot as consistent as I could as we ran back towards home.
We stopped at Susan's house on the way home to pick up our awards from 4h this year. Phoenix and I had earned a halter and lead rope (which ended being a dog leash haha) for earning 2015 reserve grand champion gymkhana senior for the whole year. I also earned a "tough as nails" plaque for my recovery and showing after our accident in December (check out our december 4h horse show post to read about our accident).
I put my plaque and lead rope in my torn purple horn bag and slipped the halter on over Phoenix's bridle. It took me a few minutes to mount up due to Phoenix walking off and wanting to go, but I took my time in correcting her and eventually she realized that if she stood still then we would go. Even though I wanted to run Phoenix back to 45, I walked her the rest of the way back to help cool her off as well as to help with her barn sour and rushing problem.
When we arrived back at the ranch, I took off the horn bag and Phoenix's halter and we went for a mini trail ride in the opposite direction. We rode through the orchards for a little bit and then cantered down some dirt roads before I took her back to 45 to hose her off. Overall, Phoenix behaved well, though there was one instance where I had to circle Phoenix to a stop due to her not wanting to quite cantering.
I put Phoenix's tack away and gave her a good hose down when we got back at the ranch because it was pretty hot out (94) and she had been working pretty hard. I ran the hose over her coat until the white froth of sweat stopped falling off of her coat. Phoenix is getting better at tolerating being sprayed in the face with the hose. I try not to do it for to long and not get water into her eyes or ears, but her face gets sweat patches caked onto her forehead from her bridle and around her eyes get pretty sweaty. Also, I like to wash away the dried sweat from her mouth from working the bit because I don't want that to be uncomfortable when we ride or dry out and rub real bad.
I let Phoenix dry out and then I brushed her down and combed her mane and tail. I took some pics of my beautiful, clean girl in her new halter and then turned her back out into her stall where she proceeded to roll and become dirty again.
I had a super fun day with my girl today and I believe our main focus for the summer (besides settling Phoenix into her new home when we move) will be to work on light hands, giving to the bit, our turns, and our bond. I know Phoenix and I can kick butt at high school rodeo next year if we learn to work together and trust in eachother.

















No comments:
Post a Comment