Before I got on my girl, I got her used to the flag on the ground since it's been a long time since we have worked with a flag. She was a little spooky at first, but after a few minutes of rubbing it over her and unraveling it so it was flapping around her, Phoenix adjusted to the flag and was fine.
I got on my girl and walked, trotted, and loped her in both directions (in her racing bit so I had control with the flag). Phoenix did pretty good neck reining, though I had to keep checking her because she was feeling good. And she picked up the correct lead after only two tries today so yay on that improvement!
| I love this pic! |
Then it was flag time. I started out walking with the flag in the flag boot but I held the flag in so it didn't flap around. After trotting like this for a little bit, I asked Phoenix to stop so I could let the flag all the way out. Phoenix seemed totally fine with the flag so we started walking around and after a few minutes we were trotting and the loping.
My girl got a little excited (probably because the last time we held a flag it was for doing hot laps) and kept trying to pull into a gallop. I let her out a little and then checked her back under control. After a few laps, I slowed my girl down, put the flag on the fence and walked her out really quick.
I took Phoenix's tack off, put it up, and walked my girl down to her stall where she had a flake of alfalfa waiting for her. I put her up and she went right to her dinner while I closed the tack room and headed home. It was a short ride today but tons of fun and my girl did good. Hopefully we got a little more time tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment