Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Bareback Day

  Yesterday was a short day with my girl but it was super fun!  I put the horses in the arena away and then let Phoenix out to play for a couple minutes while I grabbed her English bridle.  She stood still while I walked over to her and slipped the reins over her head, but before I could slide the bit into her mouth and secure the bridle, Phoenix ran off with her bridle hanging from the reins around her neck.  I was scared that she would break her bridle or hurt a leg, but somehow Phoenix got the bridle to slide down her body and eventually down her back end and hind legs so she was out of it.  I have no idea how her bridle didn't break but I checked it all over and even though it was dangling while Phoenix galloped and stepped on and went down her body, it was completely fine.
  I caught Phoenix and slipped the reins over her head again, not letting her run off with the bridle this time.  When her bridle was secure, I hopped up and we warmed up.  We started walking around the arena when Phoenix spooked in the far corner by the large tree.  It was a windy day and the breeze started rattling the tree while we were walking in that direction and Phoenix spun to trot off in the other direction, but I circled her back and she got used to the rattling.  That was the only spooking problem of the day even though it was really windy out, which is an improvement for my girl.
  I worked on walking around with Phoenix on a lose rein and then we trotted.  Let's just say that she was very motivated to go.  I had to stop her a few times because I was bouncing so much that I was going to fall off haha.  Eventually I posted instead of attempting to sit her trot cause that wasn't happening.  When Phoenix started listening better, I loped her in both directions (it took us several times and eventually a circle to pick up the left lead), checking her continually because Phoenix really wanted to gallop.
  Next was turn work.  I dismounted and Phoenix followed me around while I set up 2 barrels to practice our turns on.  We walked the barrels a few times, working on our turn set up and Phoenix gave into the turns well instead of bracing.  When we trotted, Phoenix did a good job rating and set up to the first barrel (the right) very well.  I got her to turn correctly and head off to the 2nd.  This is our trouble barrel for sure.  Phoenix is getting better and isn't turning too early any more (she did once but I made her go in the opposite direction and do it correctly the next time) but she is still bracing as we come out of the turn.  It isn't nearly as bad as when she would run off sideways and pull us our a ton from the turns, but it's still enough that it will mess up our time.  I worked on pulling Phoenix's shoulder up instead of out during that turn and I gave her a short break where we worked on rollbacks on the fence (walk and trot).












  Then it was time to work on loping the pattern.  We don't push it as hard or as fast as competition (we don't even go all the way for races yet) but we work at the lope because we need practice at pacing and turns at a faster speed because Phoenix pretty much has it at a walk/trot.  We loped the pattern a few times and OMG Phoenix is getting awesome at her first barrel right turn!  She sets up really good and is finally going back on her hindquarters and whipping around!  It felt really good and she isn't bracing around the backside.  Our left (2nd barrel) is another story.  
  Phoenix and I don't set up as well to the left but it isn't too bad (I've been working on fixing her too early turn on this side) but she still braces on this turn (though not as bad as she used too).  After working on the left barrel for a little and doing the pattern one last time, I let Phoenix lope around the arena for a few laps because she loves running and she earned it and my legs were getting tired at gripping and it's harder to hold on during the trot.  
  I had to keep checking Phoenix though cause she wanted to gallop.  I let her out to a hand gallop form time to time for a few stride and then I slowed her back to a lope.  She didn't like slowing down, but Phoenix is doing a lot better at listening, especially in her full cheek snaffle.  
  After walking out my girl so she was cooled out, I walked up to her stall and worked  on unlatching the gate from her back.  Phoenix lines up beside the gate really good, but she has a tendency to swing her butt out when I start messing with the latch before I get the gate open because she wants to walk into or out of wherever.  After a few attempts, I got Phoenix's gate unlatched and open and I walked her into her stall and dismounted.  
  I took of Phoenix's bridle and gave her a hug and she went to eat her dinner while I closed up her gate and put her tack away.  I'm so happy that I'm getting more comfortable with her and she is getting better at basics and turns.  I'm so ready to try her at another race!














No comments:

Post a Comment