I decided to work on Phoenix's left lead (our bad side) first. It took her awhile to pick it up, but we eventually got it and I let Phoenix canter the arena a few times before crossing the center and doing a flying lead change to the right. After running to the right for a few laps, I slowed my girl down to a walk and we walked the barrel pattern a few times.
Next was the trot. Phoenix is pretty solid on the right turn, but she wanted to cut into the left turn too soon, so when I felt her trying to turn early, I pulled her in the opposite direction and held her straight until she was supposed to turn.
Next was the trot. Phoenix is pretty solid on the right turn, but she wanted to cut into the left turn too soon, so when I felt her trying to turn early, I pulled her in the opposite direction and held her straight until she was supposed to turn.
Phoenix is definitely improving at her turns and getting a lot better about not bracing around the backside. When I felt confident that Phoenix was listening and ready, we loped the pattern. The first time was pretty good, but our left turn cut out too wide (not as bad as previously, but still not where we wanted it). I wanted to get a good turn out of her before I cooled her down, so Phoenix and I tried again and everything about this run felt good.
Though we weren't galloping like in a race, Phoenix's right turn was spot on and she stayed balanced as she rolled back on her hindquarters to whip around the barrel and head off to the second.
I held her to the right a little as we came to the second and when it was time, I asked her to bend around the barrel and for once, Phoenix ran around her left barrel and headed off to the third instead of bracing and loping out sideways.
We never struggle much with the third so I wasn't too worried about our turn (which is strange because this turn is also to the left). I held Phoenix back on our run home and slowed her to a trot before we got to the end of the arena. She knows how to gallop and we don't really need to practice too much of that.
I walked my girl around the arena a few times and did some serpentines to cool her out since it was in the 90s today and she was a little sweaty. When she was cool, I hopped off and we walked out of the arena where I had my girl stand outside of the tack room (luckily she rarely runs off waiting for me) while I grabbed her halter to switch it out with her bridle.
Then I tied Phoenix to the fence and hosed her down really quick before I squeegeed her as much as I could before my dad arrived. I put her away a little more wet than I like too because my girl loves to roll and it sticks to her coat more when she is soaked. Here is basically what happened (note that one side is beautiful and shiny while the other is caked in dirt and practically turned dun).
Here are some pics that my dad took of Phoenix and I as I was squeegying her off and putting her tack away.






No comments:
Post a Comment