1) We both need more jumping confidence
2) Jumping shows are in an arena and we need to be comfortable jumping in an arena
3) Phoenix and I need to work on rushing
4) I need to face my fear of show jumps (I'm fine with solid jumps but show jumps make me nervous. IDK if its the empty space underneath or what, but to succeed, Phoenix and I need to both be comfortable and confident)
I tied my girl up to the arena fence and brushed her down and tacked her up. Good thing I checked my English saddle first. Since it's cheap, it has big screws on the bottom holding it together on both sides and one of the screws had come loose. It could've poked into Phoenix and my saddle could've fallen apart while riding. I secured the loose screw and double checked the other one and we were good to go. Phoenix is getting way better at standing still while mounting and listening to cues. We warmed up by doing some basic flatwork and of course we had to get that left lead once (I'm happy to report we got it on the second try) and then it was onto some jumping!
I learned a lot about Phoenix and I as a team and how to best approach and hold Phoenix while jumping. She isn't a finished horse so I need to give her confidence and guidance or she will make possible dangerous mistakes. I learned this straight off the bat. I took Phoenix over a cross rail several times and she kept jumping wide, which (me not having the best eq or experience) kept making me flop back instead of two point and caused her to jump dangerously. It felt ok though and I was slowly becoming less nervous about jumping (we were jumping during our accident in december and Phoenix can sometimes get a little dangerous when excited).
I decided to try the about 1ft tall caveletti. 1ft isn't a lot and a person can easily jump over it, but as a vertical and on an unexperienced horse (with barely any experience yourself), it can be a little scary. I checked Phoenix's trot so she didn't come in too fast and about a stride away, I gave her her head so she could gather herself to jump. This works great on experienced horses such as Kayley's warmbloods who I have had the opportunity to jump before. The problem is, I forgot the level of Phoenix and she wasn't ready to do this on her own. Though Phoenix is gaining confidence in the fact that we haven't had any refusals lately (she used to refuse at any sign of a doubt), she is nowhere near finished or experienced enough to judge distances by herself. Therefore, Phoenix took the jump dangerously wide and tripped on it. She stumbled and went left (she did not fall but scared me and herself). I lost my balance and was thrown off to her right.
Though a bit shaken up, I was fine and I stood up and took a breath to remind myself that I couldn't get mad at Phoenix because technically it was my fault. I couldn't expect her to magically do whatever I wanted. Sure the height was low but to successfully jump a horse you need confidence, teamwork, and lots of training and experience. I caught my girl and calmed her down and we tried the jump again. Since Phoenix kept jumping dangerously wide, I decided to try something. When I approached the jump this time I continued checking her and I held her back until we were in the air.
As I continued doing this over both jumps, Phoenix was kept under control and jumped normally (a little higher than necessary though). I realize that over time, she will be able to accomplish this on her own, but since we are both still very basic, it is necessary to keep us both safe at this time. Besides my eq (working on it) I also noticed that I was holding the reins too tight while going over the jumps, which wasn't helping Phoenix balance or making it enjoyable. So I worked on press releasing over the jumps. I need a lot more work on eq and letting Phoenix come to my two point and control, etc, etc, but overall, it was a great day and Phoenix and I learned a lot.
We did a little bit more of basic flatwork after jumping and then I cooled her off and put Phoenix back into her stall so I could clean up. I'm proud of my girl for giving me her all and improving and I'm feeling good about taking a step back when I got frustrated and re-evaluating so I could figure out and work on the problem (I didn't always use to do this). Hopefully we will continue to steadily improve both our bond and our skills and I will get to eventually update on a jumping show I'm looking into convincing my dad into taking us to. We would only compete in crossrails, but you've gotta start somewhere and I'm trully very excited of the thought (though rodeo is more our thing).
As I continued doing this over both jumps, Phoenix was kept under control and jumped normally (a little higher than necessary though). I realize that over time, she will be able to accomplish this on her own, but since we are both still very basic, it is necessary to keep us both safe at this time. Besides my eq (working on it) I also noticed that I was holding the reins too tight while going over the jumps, which wasn't helping Phoenix balance or making it enjoyable. So I worked on press releasing over the jumps. I need a lot more work on eq and letting Phoenix come to my two point and control, etc, etc, but overall, it was a great day and Phoenix and I learned a lot.
We did a little bit more of basic flatwork after jumping and then I cooled her off and put Phoenix back into her stall so I could clean up. I'm proud of my girl for giving me her all and improving and I'm feeling good about taking a step back when I got frustrated and re-evaluating so I could figure out and work on the problem (I didn't always use to do this). Hopefully we will continue to steadily improve both our bond and our skills and I will get to eventually update on a jumping show I'm looking into convincing my dad into taking us to. We would only compete in crossrails, but you've gotta start somewhere and I'm trully very excited of the thought (though rodeo is more our thing).
![]() |
| Phoenix is roaning out in her neck, butt, and barrel. She has these weird stripes of not roany hair that run through her roan on her butt |





No comments:
Post a Comment