Phoenix was a little too fast during our first walk-trot pleasure class and we placed 6th, but our walk-trot equitation class was on point and we placed 2nd! The judge said I had nice lower legs which is a huge compliment for an equestrian. We picked up more ribbons (2nd and a 3rd) in another pleasure and eq class (these we had to canter) in which I had to switch incorrect leads on the first class and got correct in the 2nd class. Hunter hack was next and Phoenix and I did pretty well.
We were allowed to take a practice jump before the class which Phoenix refused the first time, but we went at it again and she jumped it well. When it was our turn to jump during the class Phoenix and I trotted towards the first jump (it was a walk-trot class) and she broke into a canter and took it well. I tried to slow her down to a trot so we wouldn't be docked points but I couldn't get her to slow her gait so a stride away I went with it and Phoenix hopped over the second jump. Then I slowed her to a trot and we trotted around to the side of the arena where we stopped and backed up for the judge We earned a 3rd place ribbon in that class and then it was time for the fun classes!
First up was the ribbon challenge where you had to do a pleasure class holding a ribbon with a partner and whoever completed the class without letting go the longest won. Melissa and I were partners for this class (which was hard because our horses didn't like eachother and kept trying to bite and kick). It was super fun and the judge had us walk, trot, reverse, stop, and back up. Phoenix listened well with legs and neck reining and we placed 1st in that class. We received a 3rd for the egg and spoon class (that is usually one of our worst ones) and Phoenix and I took the blue 1st place ribbon for musical stalls (which is super hard because you get disqualified if you canter and we struggle with that).
For silly showmanship we earned 4th (we had to do half of the pattern with our real horse and half with a stick horse) and then we had a short break before our wacky trail class. I untacked Phoenix and filled up her water bucket, which she practically finished. I put on her Western bridle with the split reins and shanked snaffle and looked over the course really quick. I hopped on bareback and headed to the arena. I didn't notice the jump when I looked over the original pattern but there was one at the start of the pattern which I was a tad nervous about, especially with split reins. I ended up going towards the jump with the reins in two separate hands like in my English bridle so I had more control. The first attempt, I was thinking about the jump too much and Phoenix could tell I was nervous so she refused. I turned her around and just went for it and Phoenix didn't even look at the jump. After landing, I held the split reins like you were supposed to and continued on with the pattern. I grabbed the easter basked, handed it to a person, took an egg out, and went through all the obstacles. Phoenix went through the fake flowers easily and we took a 3rd in the class.
I put Phoenix's Western saddle on for the Western classes and we did pretty well (for us). Phoenix and I were too fast to place well in the walk-trot and regular Pleasure and eq classes. The judge told me we would have placed well if we had slowed down. I am still proud of my girl and she listened well neck reining and I had control most of the time. We received 4th for both eq and pleasure and 6th for both walk-trot eq and pleasure. One problem that kept occuring during these classes was hand cramps that prevented me from adjusting my reins or communicating with Phoenix through the bit, as well as leg cramps that made it hard to ride properly. I downed more water before my next class and they ended up going away.
Reining went pretty well, the main problem being Phoenix getting a little too fast and breaking into a canter during one of our trot circles, which frustrated me but I took a breath, corrected her, and finished the pattern. We earned a 4th in the class and went on to win the 1st place ribbon in the ribbon challenge with Melissa and Lexi again (this time she was bareback). Phoenix and I placed 5th in musical stalls this time due to breaking into a canter and being pulled out (it was a trot only class).
And last but not least we placed 5th in our western egg and spoon class.
After the final class, Phoenix and I went over to the trailer where I put all of her tack and ribbons away and loaded her in. For this show, every time you win a blue ribbon you are put into a raffle, so for English I was put in twice and for the Western draw I was put in once. I won the Western raffle and earned a really cool horse painting.
We headed back out to Rocking 45 to put Phoenix up and I hosed her off real quick because she had been working hard all day and it was pretty hot out. Phoenix gladly went back to her stall, rolled, and finished up her breakfast. Now I won't be able to ride for several days because my dad is going out of town. I'm super proud of my girl and the progress we've made. I can't wait to continue working and see where our training takes us.
Reining went pretty well, the main problem being Phoenix getting a little too fast and breaking into a canter during one of our trot circles, which frustrated me but I took a breath, corrected her, and finished the pattern. We earned a 4th in the class and went on to win the 1st place ribbon in the ribbon challenge with Melissa and Lexi again (this time she was bareback). Phoenix and I placed 5th in musical stalls this time due to breaking into a canter and being pulled out (it was a trot only class).
And last but not least we placed 5th in our western egg and spoon class.
After the final class, Phoenix and I went over to the trailer where I put all of her tack and ribbons away and loaded her in. For this show, every time you win a blue ribbon you are put into a raffle, so for English I was put in twice and for the Western draw I was put in once. I won the Western raffle and earned a really cool horse painting.
We headed back out to Rocking 45 to put Phoenix up and I hosed her off real quick because she had been working hard all day and it was pretty hot out. Phoenix gladly went back to her stall, rolled, and finished up her breakfast. Now I won't be able to ride for several days because my dad is going out of town. I'm super proud of my girl and the progress we've made. I can't wait to continue working and see where our training takes us.

.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment