So my dad drove back to the ranch and grabbed for me while I stayed and watched my bored girl. When he got back, I attached it to Phoenix's saddle and we went to go warm up. Since we ended up having a lot of time, Phoenix and I mostly walked around and talked with friends until qualifying, open, and E barrels were done. There were only 4 of us in D barrels and Phoenix and I were second to go. I was nervous to start warming up Phoenix's lope before our run because sometimes she won't stop and just bucks a lot, but she was great and it helped me feel more confident (especially after 2 horse slip accidents that ended badly).
Honestly, this was probably the first run with my girl that I didn't feel scared about her (I was nervous about our run, but who barrel racer isn't?) and we just ran and had fun. We could've probably gone faster and our turns need tons of work, but it was one of my favorite runs because Phoenix and I worked as a team with her not trying to throw me off and me not having to yank on her mouth. We ran a 24 and then had a good while to chill before pole bending.
We found some shade and hung out with Shianne and Emily for a while, watching the other runs. When it was time for C Poles I started arming up Phoenix again. We loped down to the end of the poles and made a pretty good turn. We loped through a pole and then had to almost stop to prevent running into one of the poles. Then we carried on weaving the pattern. The part that we always struggle with is the halfway turn. Part of it is me and my iffy steering job and part of it is Phoenix turning on her front end instead of her hind end. We turned super wide and we even had to stop for a second so Phoenix could collect herself. Then we loped through the rest of the pattern, which Phoenix started going through pretty fast but since I couldn't get her to slow down and not run into the poles, I just went with it and steered the best as I could. We actually loped the 2nd half of the pattern pretty fast and rounded the last pole, running home.
Sadly, when Phoenix and I screwed up our halfway turn, we accidentally recrossed the eye and received a no time. If we can just get that turn good and a little more control, Phoenix and I could actually do pretty good at pole bending.
While we were waiting for goat tying to start, I let Phoenix drink water from the trough by the arena and OMG haha. She just kept sticking her muzzle in to take a sip and then bobbing her head back and forth like crazy in the water, splashing it all over everyone/everything (include me who was riding). At one point she even tried to step up into the trough. I guess she was thirsty and really likes playing with water.
I was really nervous to do my first goat tying run at YPBRA but it ended up being ok. For our first run I was ready to go and I loped Phoenix and hopped off, but when I got to the goat and he ran to the end of the rope, he broke free of his collar and got loose. They got another collar and I went for my qualifying run again. This time it went well and I got a 24. But I was so nervous, that I accidentally tied together 2 front legs and 1 hind instead of the other way around. They still counted it, but I was reminded the proper way for my real run.
That was the fastest run I ever did and it felt pretty good. Phoenix was great and ran straight and slowed for me to dismount and then ran off. Well, after one more rider it was time for our real run in the C class. This run didn't quite go as planned. I ran Phoenix the same as last time but when I dismounted, she kept turning so I ended up holding on until she stopped and jumping off to run to the goat. It was so funny and we were all laughing as I was tying the goat. I was shaking so bad from being so stupid that I dropped my goat rope from my mouth and had to breathe so I could actually tie the goat. My tie stayed for the 6 seconds just like last time (and the proper way this time) and I received a 30 second time. I have a long way to go but we are improving.
That was one of the best YPBRA days I have had in a long time and the first time where I wasn't scared about Phoenix and I just had fun! I enjoyed myself immensely and watched and cheered girls/guys on. I hung out with friends and had a fun, not tense time with Phoenix. It's amazing how much more fun it is to rodeo when you are relaxed and having fun! I love it! Phoenix and I will continue working on our bond and our times (especially those turns) and in 2 weeks we have the last YPBRA of the season. I can't wait! I am super proud of how far my girl has come and it is becoming super fun to ride her all the time now.
After I untacked my girl, she hopped right into the trailer and we drove back to Rocking 45. Before I put her away I hosed Phoenix off because it was a hot day and she had been running hard and sweating a lot. I put my girl away and she rolled and I finished putting her stuff away and headed home.
Here is a video of Phoenix running after I dismounted for my goat tie







No comments:
Post a Comment