Sunday, April 19, 2015

Friday update

  English today!  I was in the mood for English and I need to build up my riding muscles, so Phoenix and I went on our usual trail ride English style.  We couldn't lope or gallop quite as much as yesterday due to her being in her corkscrew snaffle bit (I know it is no excuse but Phoenix and I just need more work with control in her snaffle bit)  We still had a lot of fun and I only had to check Phoenix's speed a little bit extra.  I am becoming more comfortable with Phoenix and am learning that it is a lot more fun to ride my horse when I don't have to be tense worrying about her being crazy every second.  We have come so far in a just over a year and I am super proud of my girl.  
  I was more sore from riding English through the dunes, but it was fun and Phoenix and I found some logs to jump over.  After we arrived back at the ranch, Phoenix and I worked on jumping in the course out back.  


  Overall, it went pretty well.  I am also getting more confident with jumping and Phoenix is doing better at not jumping a stride or too early (though she still loves to rush if I don't check her).  We trotted and cantered the 1 and 2ft jumps and it was quite fun.  I was getting frustrated with Phoenix ignoring my constant speed checks and rushing the jumps, which is dangerous for both of us.  Since I was getting a little too frustrated to help Phoenix learn the way she needs, I decided to dismount and I worked her over the 3ft jumps on a lead line from the ground.  
  I know its not Phoenix's fault that she doesn't know how to properly take jumps and she needs to learn, but I was still getting frustrated because I wasn't exactly sure how to teach her everything.  I realized that I needed to take a break from jumping and take a breath.  I untacked my girl and put her back into her stall to chill before our show tomorrow.  Hopefully after a small jumping break we will improve.  





No comments:

Post a Comment