When we got to the fairgrounds, we had the opportunity to warm up for showmanship in the arena. We walked around the whole perimeter numerous times until she stopped spooking and spinning. During showmanship Phoenix stood pretty well at the beginning standing still and I only had to circle her a few times. When it was our turn (we were last) we walked to cone A and awaited the judge's signal. We walked from cone A to cone B and Phoenix stopped but it took a lot of arm power. Next, we turned 180 degrees (Phoenix did that pretty well) and backed to cone C where we executed another 180 degree turn.
Then, we trotted up to the judge and set (was hard to stop Phoenix this time, had to pull back hard and practically put my elbow in her chest). The judge walked around and I did the correct movements where I was always one "square" away from her. She asked me several questions, which I answered correctly except for describe founder because I wasn't 100% sure what it was except that it occurred in the hooves. When we were dismissed, Phoenix and I walked off to the side and stood head to tail with the other contestants.
While the judge was finishing up her notes, Phoenix kept rubbing on me and head butting my arm and I kept having to push her head away and circle her. We placed last in our class and earned a blue ribbon. Not too bad considering we haven't really practiced at all and we were using her English bridle instead of a show halter and chain (which I don't own but she performs better in).
There was a long wait until our next event so Phoenix and I had to chill for awhile. I filled up her water bucket which she finally took a sip out of, but then she knocked it over and spooked herself haha. Here are the pics of our chill time.
During the lunch break I was awarded the Reserve Grand Champion ribbon and medal that Phoenix and I earned in gymkhana during fair day 1. (They couldn't afford buckles this year).
The next discipline was western so I changed into Wrangler jeans and Ariat boots and tacked Phoenix up. She stood still well and after I finished adjusting her saddle and headstall, we warmed up. Phoenix and I haven't really worked on neck reining at all since we previously ran for rodeo teen queen (we placed runner up) so I was a little nervous and we started off slow. She did great at neck reining though was a little fast for western pleasure.
We had two classes in western, horsemanship and pleasure. Horsemanship went pretty well with Phoenix hitting both of her leads correctly (yay!) and listening well, just went very fast. We recieved a blue ribbon (in 4h our ribbon system best to worst goes: purple, blue, red, and white with purple as perfect and white as failed). Phoenix and I did better during pleasure and I loosened up a bit on the reins because I was super nervous during our first class and on her mouth a little too much. When the judge called us to stop I sat deep and signaled Phoenix to stop and she almost did a sliding stop like back when we ran for teen queen. It was awesome. We also received a blue in that class. Here are our western pics.
Next was English so I changed back into my breeches and switched Phoenix's tack (bit from a snaffle with shanks to a corkscrew snaffle) and headed back over to the arena. We had English pleasure and English equitation. I felt much more comfortable in an English saddle and was super glad I could post to Phoenix's super fast trot. We messed up on our left lead, but on the 3rd try we got it right. Phoenix did well but we still have to work on give and take with the bit because she pulled a lot and ran a little faster than we probably should have. We received a blue in horsemanship. We got both of our leads correct during equitation and I checked Phoenix during the whole class and we also received a blue. Here are our English pics. The other rider is my best friend Melissa Galate and her Thoroughbred Lexi.
Phoenix and I won Reserve Grand Champion for English and I am super proud of my crazy girl! We worked hard, tried our best, and had fun. It was a great turn out (minus the no buckles this year because I was crazy excited to have finally one my first one). Phoenix and I are going to continue working on our riding skills, focusing on rodeo events but also working on English and regular western events because the more we learn the better off we will be.
Phoenix loaded into the trailer great and we headed back to 45 where I unloaded our tack and put her back into her stall. Phoenix is getting the next 2 days off and then it is back to work for us! We have a blue jeans fun show next saturday and a YPBRA competiton the following saturday.






































































No comments:
Post a Comment