We settled on a 32 sized cinch and it fit Phoenix well, so after brushing her down, Melissa and I took her into the arena with her western tack on. I wanted Melissa to watch me rise and give me some pointers. Her first realization was that when I was kicking Phoenix, I was kicking the back cinch instead of her so we removed the back cinch. Then we worked on neck reining and using leg while riding but by this point my legs were starting to rub really bad on the saddle (I had shorts on) so we switched Phoenix into her bareback pad and full cheek snaffle bit on her English bridle.
I had recently switched out her corkscrew snaffle for a full cheek snaffle and Phoenix liked the bit better. We worked on keeping a consistent pace and leg. Melissa got on to feel Phoenix so she could help me know what she was doing and I have to say, I wish I had taken a picture. Let me set the scene.
Melissa and I had had out FFA banquet the previous night and Melissa ended up sleeping over but it was kind of on the spot so she didn't have any extra clothes with her. She was on Phoenix with the bareback pad with no shoes in nylons, a black pencil skirt, and a horse t shirt I let her borrow. The best part was her skirt was hiked all the way up so I could see some of her underwear.
Melissa worked Phoenix in a circle for a little bit until she was listening and gave me some advice (which I don't fully remember). At this point, Melissa had to leave so I just worked on the basics with Phoenix for a little while.
We worked more on flatworm and then on flying lead changes which Phoenix actually picked up a few times! Then I ran barrels a few times and walked her out.
I hosed Phoenix off and put her back into her stall where she proceeded immediately to roll and become super dirty. I just hung out in her feed bucket till my dad picked me up.


No comments:
Post a Comment