Saturday, August 1, 2015

Rain Adventure (Friday)

     What started out as a normal riding day ended up being the most adventurous ride I have ever had with Phoenix.  I wore my new Ranch Dress'n pants (kind of choose the wrong day for that haha)  and it felt like a trail ride sort of day.  I brushed my girl down, tacked her up, and hit the trails.  It was a beautiful day out and it was perfect trail ride weather.



     We headed out the normal way but I decided to explore around and try to discover more fun paths to take.  I headed down different dirt roads with houses on them.  Some dead ended but I ended up going down some and turning onto other streets and even though it took longer to get the same distance as walking down the dirt road, it was way more fun and adventurous.  It started sprinkling when I headed down this cool hill and through bushes and stuff.  We walked down a path and we saw an orange road sign and Phoenix started snorting and shying away.  I tried to get her to walk over while I was on her but I ended up dismounting and leading her over to sniff it and she realized that it wasn't going to eat her.  






   It was just a light sprinkle so I didn’t think  much of it so I continued on exploring around.  I wasn’t really worried about getting lost because I had enough time to find my way back when I wanted to and I knew the general area I was in, just not the exact way back because I was still discovering all of the trails around.  
Well the light sprinkle suddenly turned into a downpour so I decided to start making our way back.  I knew I was going in a large circle and that it would be faster to head back going in the direction I was already headed instead of going back the way we had came through all of the roads and stuff.  I found myself laughing and having a great time even though Phoenix and I were getting soaked.  The rain felt good and I had never ridden in the pouring rain before.  Then it started thundering and lightning and I actually started getting scared.  Phoenix jumped at the thunder but she was ok and even though I could tell she was nervous and jumpy, she listened to me and took care of me.  Eventually it got to the point where I felt safer leading on the ground and so I dismounted and ran in the slippery mud beside Phoenix.  



I thought we were a street or so away but we were farther than that so when the lightning and thunder started becoming more frequent and the rain got really bad and I was lost and my phone was too wet to comprehend the keyboard when I attempted typing in directions, my fun adventure turned into a scary experience.  I didn’t know where I was or how to get back and I was soaked to the bone (everything to my shirt, underwear, and socks were soaked through) and Phoenix and her tack were soaked too.  I was the tallest thing around with metal and I a little bit of fear turned into terror.  I didn’t know what to do or if something bad would happen.  We could get struck by lightning or caught in a crazy storm for hours or I would get even more lost or Phoenix would spook and run off.  Anything could happen and I was so scared and so I did the only thing I could think of.  
I prayed.  I had to keep moving and I didn’t dare close my eyes but I said a sincere prayer out loud to heavenly father asking for our safety and for shelter or help to find our way back.  I was scared and I knew that even though I felt alone, I wasn’t.  Heavenly Father was there listening to my prayer and giving me comfort.  I finally came upon a house and somehow having enough courage (I have social anxiety so I don’t do strangers or talking usually) I knocked on the door on parrot lane and a nice old couple answered.  The let Phoenix and I take shelter in their garage and they gave her an apple and me directions home.  We waited out the storm for about 10 minutes and it passed over in the opposite direction, so I was able to call Robin to let her know I was ok and to hop on my girl and head home.  Robin met us halfway and we had fun running through the rivers the flood had created on the dirt road. Phoenix didn't mind running through the water and she kept stopping and trying to play in it haha.
One of the smaller flooded areas
The adventure was fun and I am so grateful for my trusting horse who does take care of me when it count but that wasn’t the significant part about that day.  I love the gospel but I’m still learning a lot of the basics and I don’t really have a good testimony yet or anything, but today I put my faith in God to help give me comfort and guidance and he came through.  It really gave me assurance that if I keep the commandments and faith in God then I will never be alone and will always have guidance available.  He knows me and he was there and knew what I needed.  I have never had to put faith to the test or really ask for his help before, so that was a big thing for me.  It really strengthened my testimony and I think it will help give me an extra push to get up for seminary in the morning on those tough days.  I need to remember all that God does for me and that with him I can accomplish anything.  I am stronger with heavenly father than without and I need him in my life.    
Well I didn't have to hose Phoenix off when we got back due to the rain and she was soaked everywhere but where here saddle had been (totally opposite right). I put her away and oiled my saddle to help it not to crack when it dried later. Now my saddle is splotched with different colors but the experience and fun time was well worth it. Here is a pic of fluffy from that night.  

1 comment:

  1. That sure is one great adventure, Brielle! And despite all the hassles, I'm sure that you had a great time too despite the rain, right? Thank you so much for sharing and I hope there’ll be more adventures to come! :-)

    Wilbert Bowers @ Mirr Ranch Group

    ReplyDelete