Monday, February 2, 2015

Update

  Phoenix and I have been working our butts (and hindquarters) off working to improve our skills and our relationship since the accident and so far it is going good.  I think it will take awhile till I'm 100% fearless in the saddle again, but the more we practice, the more confident I feel.  Phoenix has been a little crazy, bucking and ducking out when I first get her out, but she usually settles after a little while.  There have been a few windy days that made me nervous due to the big flapping tarp right by the arena, but surprisingly it didn't seem to effect Phoenix at all (though some of the chickens have been spooking her). 
  We have mostly been working on the basics (walk, jog, lope, stops, etc) and turns for gymkhana, though we haven't ran yet.  Phoenix and I are improving our turns and mostly working a figure 8 barrel pattern to exercise both directions.  We haven't really worked on poles yet, but we ought to since we struggle more with those than barrels. 
  On Friday night (the day before the YPBRA race) I only had a very short amount of time (about 30 minutes) to ride Phoenix, so I ran a brush over her real quick and put on her bareback pad.  I haven't ridden her bareback (or with a pad) since the show the day I had my accident and Phoenix had been a little stubborn lately, so I was a little nervous, but it worked out great!  Phoenix was a dream, listening to all of my ques and going at a smooth trot or a nice lope when I wanted her.  My legs stayed put better than I expected and we even ran though the barrel pattern a few times.  Check out my January YPBRA post to hear about the outcome of the show. 

No comments:

Post a Comment