Friday, January 23, 2015

Weekly update

  I've been slacking at writing lately, so I'll try to go over everything really quick.  Phoenix has been doing super well at Rocking 45 and we both love it.  We have been riding only Western for now and Phoenix has been working great in her jointed gag bit.  She stops well and I can keep off her mouth, but till have control for speed events.  I've been riding since January 15th (a tad bit before I was cleared) and everything has been very good.  I had been lunging her in the round pen until I was fit to ride and, though she was a tad rambunctious, she joined up nice and loved when I let her out with the other horses.  She did threaten the lead mare a few times, but she's got her role figured out after being kicked a few times.
  On the 17th I took Phoenix to FFA horse evaluation practice and it was probably the best she has done at trailering so far.  She just hopped in both ways.  Though at the practice she got a little hyped up at showmanship and did good enough to get judged (a lot of the judges liked her overall conformation), but I couldn't ride her cause she was too freaked out from everything in the small fenced dog area. 
  She threw me off the following Monday after school, but she was just excited to be running around with another horse (Kelly rode too).  I didn't get hurt and I got back up and corrected her.  After a few more bucking attempts I got her to lope normal.  The next day I worked almost the whole time on her left lead, but I only got her to pick it up once during the whole hour I rode her.  It is both of our bad sides, so we definitely have to work on it.  I tied her to the fence, ran a hose over her, and then let her out into the arena to play.  It sounded like a great idea...until I caught her to put her away and she was caked in dirt.  Phoenix was dun for the rest of the day. 
  On Wednesday, we discovered (thank to Jenny) that Phoenix had a rib out of place, which was making her uncomfortable and harder for her to do certain movements.  Jenny popped it back into place and showed me how to tell if it was out on Phoenix.  All I have to do is run my fingers down her withers and if there is an odd twitch away from a certain area, then she has a rib out of place.  Luckily, its super easy to put back in.  You just grab a hoof pick, stand directly behind her and run the blunt end down her lower back/buttock to pop her back.  If her poll gets out of whack though (If your horse can't bend to grab a treat on her side, then that may be what's wrong) I have to get a chiropractor. 
  Thursday we played games with Kelly in the arena.  Phoenix and I learned the Big T pattern which is supper fun to mess around with and I received her new saddle pad later that night, which I can't wait to use.  Another thing that surprised me, is earlier in the week while I was riding it was super windy out.  Rocking 45 has a huge hay pile that has a huge flapping white tarp covering it by the arena.  I was nervous it would spook Phoenix but she was totally fine and I didn't have to desensitize her from it.  I've worked with her on tarps before, but never like that, so I was super proud of my girl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment