Monday, February 9, 2015

Saddle discovery and last week's lesson

  Today when I went out the Rocking 45 Jenny was out there and she helped me check out our saddle.  We discovered that it didn't fit her correctly in the shoulder and that could be why she bucks a lot and has a lot of trouble picking up her left lead.  Her previous saddle was a nice circle Y saddle but we tried out one of Jenny's barrel saddles and it fit her much better and didn't pinch.  Also, it is a lot lighter and I can feel Phoenix better in it.  Jenny said we could have it for $50 so we will probably get it. 
  Also, last week's barrel/pole lesson went pretty well.  We lunged Phoenix with tack on beforehand and learned/worked a lot about turns and rating.  I learned the correct way to turn Phoenix (one handed pulling her around while pushing against the horn with my other hand to keep in balance and not make it harder for Phoenix to turn).  We also worked on poles a little at a trot and weaving since we had trouble with that at YPBRA. 
  We also worked a lot on preventing bucking, so everytime that Phoenix bucked I would stop her, back her up and then continue on.  It seemed to work pretty well, but now I realize it could have been the saddle.   

No comments:

Post a Comment