Monday, February 9, 2015

YPBRA January

  On Jan 30th (2 weeks ago) Phoenix and I competed in our first show since our accident and our first official race outside of 4H.  I was super nervous, but everything turned out pretty good.  Since my dad was out of town, a friend trailered Phoenix and I, but she had a super fancy 4 horse trailer with a tack room (which sounds awesome right?).  But Phoenix did not like it at all.  It took her awhile to get up the ramp (she had never seen one before) and then she threw a fit when we closed up the doors and I exited through the escape door.  She didn't like being enclosed in a big, dark box and wasn't even tied up (there were no tie rings).
  When we got there Phoenix bolted down the  ramp, but I caught her lead rope.  She snorted and looked around everywhere, but luckily we were the first ones there so I could get her used to everything.  I walked her down to the arena grounds and we walked everything (minus the arena, which was being worked) and she got to spook at all of the trees and things that looked funny.  Next we worked on tacking up.  Of course the only place to tie Phoenix up at was at the end of the trailer, so she was able to keep swinging up against the side and back of the trailer, making it difficult to brush her and put her tack on.  Finally, like 45 minutes later, Phoenix had her boots, pad, saddle, and headstall on.  I signed us up for barrels and poles and then Jenny ponied Phoenix around for me so she could wig out in the arena without making a big deal. 
  Phoenix was a butt at first, but eventually worked out most of the kinks.  After she had been ponied, I hoped on her and we rode around the grounds, keeping her warmed up.  Right before qualifiers (we had to be put into categories since it was our first show) we started working on barrel turns with Jenny and loped a little.

  During qualifiers, Phoenix and I did ok and ran a 29 so we were placed in E barrels.  After a few runs, it was our turn for our real run and Phoenix and I did way better, running a 24.  I slow loped her and only let her run out after the last barrel so I think if we work on turns and I am able to let her our more then we can drop a lot of time.  Also, I need to work on keeping her more relaxed (which I believe will come with time and more shows).  We already improved a lot since the 4H show (plus there were no ambulances this time) and I believe that we could improve next show too. 
Barrel run


  We got disqualified during pole qualifiers due to Phoenix loping too fast for me to guide her, therefore we were put into C poles.  It didn't go too bad and we took it pretty slow, we got a 39 (which would've been faster than the 35 we got at the 4h show if we hadn't knocked a pole) with a pole knocked down.  We definitely need a lot of work on poles with me working on guiding and staying off Phoenix's mouth and Phoenix working on listening a little better.
  
Pole run

  Overall, the show didn't go too bad.  Phoenix and I placed 2nd in E barrels and we received a check for $14 (it was $7 to enter) I believe that we will start running better with practice and with time I will start to relax and trust Phoenix again.  We will be taking lessons and working super hard so stayed tuned for our February show update.
 
Bucking video


 


  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment