I love my girl to pieces but she is driving me crazy! She is sound and in no pain (that was the first thing I checked) but I'm having a hard time getting her to do anything but walk and rear. I just wanted to ride her bareback or go on a trail ride lol but I ended up with a western saddle and headstall and spurs because I still couldn't get Phoenix to move. I started out light with my spurs just tapping and ended up kicking a little. I like using them as tools but I'm still not 100% about spurs so I was trying not to use them as hard as I could. Eventually I grabbed a crop. Used it on her shoulder once and she trotted! We had a few times going around the arena where she tried to stop but I just used the crop on her shoulder again and eventually I didn't need it!
I wanted to lope more than anything but that was an improvement for Phoenix and I decided not to push progress so I walked her out by doing pivots and figure eights. We will get over this and be able to practice eventually lol. I groomed Phoenix down good and hand walked her around and then turned her back into her stall. Hopefully she wants to work at the barrel race tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment