Thursday, June 4, 2015

Turn Day

   I got out to the ranch earlier today cause my dad had to go to Phoenix in the afternoon, so even though it got super windy and rainy later on in the day, it was perfect during our ride.  When I got to Phoenix's stall, she was still eating her breakfast, so she was a tad reluctant to leave.  But she let me halter her and I brushed her out and tacked her up (Western and snaffle bit).



   I warmed Phoenix up by working on her bend and giving to the bit (which is already improving).  I had her start with out bad lead (left) today and after a few tries, she picked up the correct lead and when I asked her to switch when we changed direction, my girl did a nice flying lead change.  One cool accomplishment is that Phoenix and I can always do a flying lead change from our bad lead (left) to our good lead (right) but we have never been able to do it vice versa for obvious reasons (it's Phoenix's dominant, go to lead).  Well today I got my girl to do a flying lead change from her right to her left when I switched directions again and I'm so proud!  Phoenix is already improving a bunch since we have been here.  
   We worked on barrels at a walk and trot for awhile and I focused on our turns and hitting the 5 points that we were taught about.  


Robin's son, Sterling
Sterling








Sterling
Sterling
Sterling
Sterling





Sterling
Sterling















Robin's daughter, Julia


Julia
Julia
Julia
   Robin was out in the arena working with one of the mare's she was training and she helped Phoenix and I with our turns.  Robin had noticed that when I go around the turns I sit up and almost 2 point and it doesn't help Phoenix to balance herself when she has to worry about my balance too.  She told me I could post, but then sit down around the turns.  
   Robin helped me work on moving my hips in the opposite direction and use my legs to help Phoenix around turns.  She used a metaphor of using a knife (your turning hand) to pop a balloon (the turning side y my hip).  We worked on it around cones and barrels in a random pattern while I overexaggerated the action to get it down better.  
   It definitely helped me during turns and I believe it helped my girl too.  I worked her a little longer and then cooled her off and took her out to untack and hose her down.   

No comments:

Post a Comment