Friday, June 5, 2015

Rainy Day

   Here are some pictures that I took of the cows when I got to the ranch today



   It was lightly drizzling outside when I arrived at the ranch around 8, so I decided to let Phoenix out in the pasture because I'm sure she was feeling good with the weather being so crazy.  













   After I caught my girl I free lunged her in the round pen until she was listening and ready to come in.  I always love when she willingly comes into me at the end and follows me around.  





   Here are some pics I took of my girl before and while I groomed her.  












   While grooming my girl I came across a small superficial wound on her right hind heel.  




   Since the only wound I have ever dealt with was when Phoenix got a puncture wound out in the pasture during December, I had Robin take a look at it and she said it wasn't a big deal and showed me how to wash it out and said it was fine to ride.  So I saddled my girl up in our usual tack and set out to the arena.



   It was sprinkling while I checked our cinch and hopped on my girl and she threw a little bit of a fit due to getting wet, but it wasn't lightning out or raining too hard, so we continued working on her giving to the bit and then we worked the pattern a few times.  



   As you can see our runs aren't perfect, but we are definitely improving.  Phoenix gave me a little attitude during the runs and I need to sit down and turn better, but I handled it the best I could and if we work on our turns and add the speed or a race, I think Phoenix and I could actually start getting 20's and maybe even faster times.  
   I hand walked Phoenix around the arena a few times and then decided to untack her.  It just felt like a good end to a short lesson to help establish all we've been working on.  Julia was our little helper (she took the videos) and she helped brush Phoenix out.  




   I put corona on Phoenix's boo boo and put her back into her stall. 

Phoenix's weird butt markings


   Since her water was about empty, I filled it up while the rain started to pick up a little.  


   It started pouring while I grabbed a pitchfork and I ended up mucking stalls in the heavy rain.  Robin came out and filled waters while I worked on the stalls and the rain let up and my dad was there to pick me up after I finished Phoenix's stall.  



No comments:

Post a Comment