| When your horse tried to run you over during a pic |
Phoenix was good at the walk and I rode her one handed but I used to hands for the trot and lope due to how excited she gets. She was definitely easier to control and work with but Phoenix still tried to pull into a faster gait and I had to work her mouth to get her to give and slow down, keeping a consistent pace. Robin gave me some tips on working her to bend and I tried them out and doing the pressure then back to normal instead of total release seemed to work well.
I walked the barrel pattern a few times and then took it at a trot. Phoenix listens pretty well at the trot and I got her to turn well by running straight until she passed the barrel and then going into a tight turn. I tried to keep my balance good for her and to sit the turns. I had to go over the second barrel and try to fix our turn when we loped though. Phoenix is good at the left turn, but she keeps hunting the second barrel and trying to turn too soon to the right, forcing her to either turn really wide and out before heading to the third (adding a lot of time) or making her break into a trot for a few strides.
We worked on this a few times and I had her to excersises around the barrels until she seemed to do better at that right turn. She had it pretty good during one run and then of course when I had Robin record a video of us, she took the turn too early again. I could feel her trying to pull into the barrel early and I tried to pull her outwards and hold her straight longer, but I didn't do a good enough job at it. Robin actually said that I need to push Phoenix out with my inside rein and leg instead of pull when she does that. Anyways, here's the video. I need to work on not leaning and sitting the turns, but we tried and are improving and will get there one day.
When we were done, I walked Phoenix out, untacked her, and hosed my baby girl off. She's getting a lot more comfortable being sprayed in the face.
| This is my fav water pic of the day |
I let Phoenix start to dry out when my dad arrived, so of course I made him take pics of us due to the earlier pics being on a timer taken by me and I wanted better ones.
I put Phoenix away and secured her fly mask before putting her halter up. Robin offered to let me ride one of her well broke geldings whenever if I wanted to learn from him to help my riding improve and learn what to feel and how to ask Phoenix how to do stuff. I think I'll take her up on that tomorrow. I could always use a chance to improve.
No comments:
Post a Comment