Phoenix was a little jumpy under the arena with all the noise but I got her to settle well enough and just circled and walked her when she started being dangerous. Our first event was goat tying. Phoenix did great running and slowing her lope while I jumped off (though I almost fell haha). I flipped the goat in a good amount of time but I haven't practiced goats since fair and I had trouble gathering its legs to tie. It was a fairly large goat and it took me a little while to remember I had to put my right leg into it more to help hold its legs together to tie. I almost lost the goat but I was determined to atleast get a time. Finally I got its large legs tied and it stayed. I received a time of 48 seconds which isn't too good but I will take it over nothing.
Next was our barrel run haha. I was excited and ready to go and Phoenix really tried her best for me. Yes our turns weren't perfect but our run felt good up to the point were we slipped and fell haha. Luckily, Phoenix and I were both unhurt and I actually stood up laughing and asking if I could have a re-do cause man I was ready to run a good time lol. I caught my girl and sadly we were DQed so we have to wait till further notice to see if Phoenix and I are improving. I am getting less nervous about letting her our and now that we have slipped and gone down I'm not too scared of that either cause it honestly wasn't that bad. Hope this video cracks you up as much as it does me haha.
Our last event for the day (and for state) was pole bending. Phoenix and I haven't honestly done pole bending in a long time and it has never been our strong suit but she did amazing and I couldn't be prouder. Phoenix and I ran a 29 second pole run (which is our fastest) and she whipped around those end poles like a boss! We didn't place but I sure couldn't keep the smile off of my face!
State was a blast and I can't believe it is over! I loved every second and I learned a ton. We won some and we lost some but Phoenix put her heart into everything for me and I couldn't ask for anything more. Caulina and her sister kicked some butt and I loved meeting new people and watching everyone else! I wish Phoenix and I could travel and compete all the time cause that was such a rush (maybe one day we will haha).
I hosed off my girl, loaded up the truck and trailer, and we hit the road home. Phoenix munched on hay and was super excited to get home and settle back into her stall. I am super thankful for the opportunity to compete at my first major show and I'm sad I wont be able to go next year lol.













No comments:
Post a Comment