Tuesday, September 18, 2018

First ride

           Today I caught Dash and we worked in the round pen for a little while without a rope.  Honestly, it would've been better with one because she is so confused and I'll probably go back to using one tomorrow.  She is learning to get out of my space, but doesn't really listen to the whip or like changing directions.  And she only walks and trots.  I worked with her until she got the idea pretty well and then ended before I forced too much on her.  She is slowly figuring it out.
         Dash seems pretty chill and I've sat on her before (just in a halter and I never asked her to do anything), so I decided to try riding her in a bit today.  I switched out my bits to the softest bit I have (a twisted D ring snaffle) and put it on Dashy.  Dash hates people trying to open her mouth.  I haven't been able to look at her teeth because of this.  I went to put the bit in and she refused to open her mouth and kept bobbing her head up and down and then put her nose to the ceiling.  I just kept trying and after a few minutes her mouth opened a smidge and I slid the bit in.

The bit I used



            After the bit was in, she took it well.  She didn't seem to mind it and I hopped onto her bareback from the ground.  I got stuck and crawled up her back and she didn't care one bit.  Dash is a really good horse.  I just walked her in the round pen, helping her work off of leg pressure and the bit.  We worked on walking on the outside (she loves to cut in the middle while I'm lunging her and riding her), stops, and changing direction.






Here is the full video of my ride on dash

               Dash did amazing!  She is still figuring out pressure and the bit but she did so well.  And when I got off, she followed me around when I went to grab her halter (seen at the end of the video).  I really love this mare.  
             I groomed her and then me and a friend combed out her dreadful dreadlock of a tail.  We salvaged most of it and now she has a tail!  

Tied her inside for the first time today.  She did well and din't mind
all of the people, dogs, and horses constantly passing behind her

           Here is a video of Dash and I practicing picking up her hooves.  She will pick them up when you ask, but not hold them.  So we are practicing with a rope.  We've been doing it for a few days and she is already improving.  



No comments:

Post a Comment