Tuesday, October 6, 2015

English Day!

     Phoenix and I had a great day and we are really improving!!  Since Robin is moving, she took out all of the horse stalls she added on so Phoenix got to chill in the paddock (which she loved).  I grabbed my girl, brushed her down, and headed to the arena.  We worked on showmanship for 10 minutes or so and then it was time for some bareback practice.  At first I was nervous that I would have to use the crop (which I've been using most of the time lately) but I stuck it out, continued kicking, and eventually Phoenix stopped throwing a fit and worked fine without it.  I felt good riding bareback and Phoenix did a good job.  We spent time working on collection, working off of leg pressure, and picking up the correct lead (which took several times) and then I took Phoenix back over to the tack room to put on her saddle.
     Now with more than just a bridle on, Phoenix and I worked on flatwork in the arena again.  It took a little bit but after some work I had Phoenix bending to the inside while using leg pressure to push her towards the outside.  We practiced leads and stops and then headed out to our makeshift jump course out back.
     We started with trotting what we had set up until we felt comfortable and warmed up.  We had a few hit poles due to me but eventually Phoenix and I were able to do a continuous course and actually jump (not step or trot over) the jumps haha.  We were riding smoother and I started even cantering some of the jumps instead of just trotting (which I am more comfortable with).  Since Phoenix was listening and checking well, I raised all of the jumps (and measured them).  The tallest one was 1"8'.  I was a little nervous at first but I pushed my nerves aside and just went for it.  Phoenix took the jump nicely and after a few more times I wasn't nervous anymore.  She has improved so much in the past few months and I can't wait to get up to the 2"6' for state!
     After our workout I untacked my girl, hosed her down, and turned her loose into her huge temporary stall.  We are moving Phoenix to her new home tomorrow so hopefully all goes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment