I groomed Phoenix down, tacked her up, and put her into Robin's trailer. We headed out to Frizzell's were we warmed up and were ready to go. My barrel run wasn't what I was going for turn wise (Phoenix was fighting me) but I was brave enough to let her go more and give her her head. Its important for me to trust her and let her run if we are ever going to improve. We didn't do so well with a 23 but we still improved haha.
While we had some turn issues with barrels, Phoenix ran a great thread the needle pattern (I don't remember our time but we placed 3rd). It was a fun pattern and Phoenix worked well off of my leg. Robin said it was because I looked at the next barrel instead of down at my turn (thats what I do when I run the cloverleaf oops haha)
We totally messed up the easiest pattern but it was my fault. Sure the keyhole is simple but I as pushing for a fast time and should have checked Phoenix early, especially since she was being a little bratty. We managed to hit a barrel and run over a pole but oh well. I eventually corrected it and I was grinning ear to ear and laughing the whole run home haha.
Next was the big M pattern but we had a short break before my turn due to one of the youth riders having her saddle slide sideways and then she got hung up while her horse ran around and proceeded to throw her into the fence (been there done that). I felt pretty helpless just watching adults try to comfort her until the ambulance loaded her up and idk how she is doing but I hope she is ok. The hit didn't seem to bad and I'm sure she is shaken up and bruised (maybe fractured or broken too) but luckily the fence is broken up more and not like the steel one I was thrown into in Yuma.
Phoenix ran a pretty good pattern, we just struggled at the middle turn. Just need to work at leg pressure and staying off of her face.
Phoenix ran a pretty good wild lark pattern and sadly the keg race (I was so pumped up to participate in that) was cancelled due to the lateness of the hour.
Phoenix and I had a blast and actually improved from last time. We placed a few times 3rd and 5th and we made tons of friends thanks to my crazy Fallon Taylor pants and my carefree attitude towards our not great runs. Hopefully we will do better as the gymkhana series continues on and we might be able to be in the running for end of the year prizes but idk if we will be good enough. Either way we learned a lot and had a blast!
We loaded up and dropped the horses off at the ranch and then I headed home (didn't get back till almost 1am haha). I can't wait till our next race in 2 weeks!

No comments:
Post a Comment