We started off by trotting the pattern, trying to remember all the tips that Chris Otto had given us. Our first run through wasn't too bad and we had pretty good turns. On our second run through though, we had some bucking issues. I loped Phoenix slowly to the first barrel and we didn't turn that great but we got around it. She bucked turning the second barrel (not very big or aggressive, but still a bad habit and it slows down time), so Chris had me come at it again. This time we had a pretty good turn but she went to buck running to the 3rd barrel. I felt it and picked her up a little to help her focus and she was ok. We had a pretty nice turn at the last barrel and then I slowed her down running home so we stopped before the fence. Though we still have a lot to improve on (such as light hands and turning), Phoenix and I improved a lot since last time. I think she has a lot of potential if she can give and not buck so much when excited (this was very low key bucking for her) and also if I can ride less nervous so I don't have such a grip on her.
Next we each ran through the poles twice. Our problem with the poles are our ending turns on both sides, so Chris helped Phoenix and I work on keeping her shoulder up around the turns and to move onto her hind end so she can whip around. Also, she helped me to work on my hands and guiding as well as leaning back more instead of forward. We trotted the pattern once and it was one of the best weaving jobs we have done. Phoenix kept her body straight and adjusted her position around each pole and even loped a little going back through. The second time I let Phoenix go a little faster but ended up slowing her to a trot due to her getting too excited for me to weave good. She bucked doing the end pole, so Chris had us turn around and take it again so she knows that she can't get away with not working due to bucking and that it isn't ok. Then we loped the end of the pattern and turned the pole to trot home.
After we were all done with barrels and poles, we got to work on goat tying! I was so happy because I really want to goat tie and I needed to learn before fair on Tuesday so I can have all 3 events to be in the running for the buckle (though Kensy and Emily are my competition and both are a lot more experienced and have way better times). Chris showed me how to tie first and let me practice on her arm until I could get it right by myself (not very fast though haha) and then she showed me on the goat and let me try a few times. I ran up, grabbed the rope, and ran along it until I came to the goat. Next, I grabbed his forearm and flank, put my right knee into him, and flipped him over so her was on his back. After that, I put my left knee into his side and laid my right leg against his backside so I could gather his legs. Chris showed me how to extend the foreleg to get ahold of it better and told me to lay the legs flat when I gather them so the tie stays. This is when I lost the goat because I didn't have me knees on him good enough and he popped back up.
I tried it again and Chris told me that while I was gathering the legs I needed to pull my right leg closer to the goat until my knee was bent up against him and push it in good enough so he can't get up or go out. I finally got the goat tied (first time I was able to successfully finish it!) but when I got up he undid it. On my next turn, I finished my tie and the goat stayed successfully tied because I had actually pulled it tight enough this time haha. I have now successfully tied a goat. Of course Phoenix and I still have to work on the running up and jumping off part, but we can do that on our own. I wish we had a goat to practice on though because I am super nervous or fair.
After untacking Phoenix and putting all of our stuff away, I put her into the trailer and we headed back to 45 where she got to eat her dinner. Now I have to go out of town for 4 days and I won't be back till sometime on Sunday. Usually it would be an ok thing cause horses need time off and I usually ride her all the time, but our gymkhana portion of fair is on Tuesday! Which means I only have Monday to practice and Phoenix gets pretty hot. I am super nervous but I can't wait till fair!

No comments:
Post a Comment